2015 Mosquito Division Rules
The opposing pitcher will pitch to Mosquito batters.
Who can pitch?
It is up to the coaches to determine that a player has demonstrated the necessary skills to pitch (e.g. ability to field the position and throw strikes).
1. For the first three innings, each player can only pitch in one inning.
2. Any player can pitch the fourth inning (even one who pitched one of the first three innings).
3. The maximum number of innings a player can pitch is two innings.
1. At the time of the pitch, outfielders must be on the outfield grass.
2. Teams can field 4 outfielders at all times.
3. At the time of the pitch, infielders are playing behind the base paths, or even with the bases for 1st and 3rd base.
4. The infield fly rule is in play.
1. All players are entered on the batting line-up (e.g. everybody bats).
2. No bunting.
3. There is no advancement to first base on a dropped strike three.
4. If a player leaves the game or batting order due to injury or other reason, their place in the batting order is skipped and no out is charged.
5. If a player is late to the game after the lineups have been set, they are added to the bottom of the batting order.
6. Batting orders must be switched around every game to ensure that kids get roughly same opportunity to hit (e.g. a player cannot bat leadoff every week)
1. There are no leadoffs until the pitcher has released the ball. Players will be warned once by umpires. If it happens for a second time, the umpire can call the player out.
2. Runners can steal 2nd base on a pitched ball. There is no advancing to third on an overthrow on a stolen base attempt. There is no stealing 3rd base on a pitched ball.
3. If a runner takes a large lead off from a base after a pitched ball, the catcher can make a throw to try and pick-off the runner from any base. A runner may not advance on a catcher’s throw or overthrow.
Aggressive Base Running
We have asked the coaches to discourage aggressive base running. For example, a runner on 2nd should not score on an infield hit, unless the throw to 1st base is badly overthrown. Please allow the coaches to direct the base runners.
1. Games are a maximum of 4 innings in length, with no new innings beginning after 7:45 (based on a 6:30 start).
2. Teams may play with a minimum of 7 players.
3. If a team knows it will have less than 9 players, it may “borrow” players from non-game playing teams subject to approval of the convenor.
4. There is a maximum of 5 runs per inning. There are NO open innings.
5. Games can end in a tie.
UYBA uniforms and hats may not have additional writing, logos, etc… added without approval of the UYBA board.