2015 Rookie Division Rules
1. The Pitching Machine should be 44 ft from home plate. Mark an 8 ft circle around the machine. Set the speed of the pitching machine to 35-40 mph.
2. The player at pitcher position must stand outside the 8 ft circle and BEHIND the release point of the pitching machine. This player must also wear a hard batting helmet for protection.
3. A coach from the batting team will feed the baseballs into the pitching machine.
4. In an effort to keep the game moving, once the machine is set up for the inning, please try to limit adjustments to a minimum.
5. Batters receive 5 “hittable” pitches from the pitching machine (as determined by the umpire).
6. A pitch that is over the batter’s head or bounces in the dirt is not considered to be a hittable pitch unless the batter swings.
7. After 5 hittable pitches, a batter is out.
8. There are no walks.
9. If the fifth hittable pitch is declared foul, the batter is not out and shall continue receiving pitches.
1. At the time of the pitch, outfielders are on the outfield grass and infielders are playing behind the base paths.
2. If the ball hits the pitching machine (or coach!) and lands within the 8 ft circle, the ball is called dead, and the batter is awarded a single.
3. When a ball is overthrown at a base (ie. at first) and out of play, the players WILL NOT be advanced or "given" a base by the umpires.
4. No infield fly rule.
1. All players are entered on the batting line-up (ie. everybody bats).
2. No bunting allowed.
1. No stealing allowed.
2. There are no leadoffs until the pitching machine has released the ball.
3. Aggressive base running is discouraged. For example, a runner on 2nd should not score on an infield hit, unless the throw to 1st base is badly overthrown. Please allow the coaches to direct the base runners.
1. Games are a maximum of 4 innings in length, with no new inning beginning after 7:45 pm.
2. There is a maximum of 5 runs per team per inning-there is NO open inning.
3. Games can end in a tie.